Friday, September 27, 2013

5.11 42-Inch Double Rifle Case, Black, One Size


Excellent Rifle bag. Pricey but worth it.
Holds my AR-15 (16" barrel, scopes and Front grip) and my 10/22 rifle with scope, and even a handgun or 2. Molle straps holds everything securely in place and you can configure the straps any which way you want. Also has enough side pockets (x3) to put your magazines, extra ammo and some basic tools for the range. Little pricey but worth it. You can also carry the case like a backpack quite comfortably. Overall good rifle case with good padding to protect your babies.
Good quality, but no secure pistol storage out of the box
My case just arrived at my door yesterday, but initially I'm pleased with the overall quality of the case.

The one hit I have on the design is that it's not terribly good for pistol transport as is. The demo video I watched on 5.11's website demonstrated how pistols can be stored in the outer compartment, under a snap-secured flap. So I loaded up my bag with an AR-15, a Ruger 10/22, a full-sized 1911 and a Crosman 44 pellet revolver, zipped everything up and gently stood the bag up on end a couple of times. When I opened it up, I discovered that the pistols had migrated towards the middle of the bag and were almost touching--*shudder*. So I would recommend *against* storing pistols under those flaps--it's just not secure enough. A better bet for pistol transport would probably be a Molle holster inside that same compartment, on the top of the flaps, or attached to the outside of the bag.

Each side of the main rifle compartment comes with four velcro straps that...
Very nice case, but worth the extra $?
Here are my comments on the case (I'm trying not to overly duplicate all the other reviews)

After lots of on-line research, the primary reason I chose the 5.11 tactical over other available options was the molle straps on the two inside rifle compartments. The molle allow me to secure my firearms with included hook & fastener (i.e. Velcro) straps. I found this a nice featue. Especially if you want to put multiple hand guns in one side of the case, or try to squeeze two smaller rifles in a single side. All the other widely available soft cases did not have the molle.

The question is: does this feature justify the higher price of this case? That's a personal decision. Also note that this case is made in China. It would have been much easier for me to justify the premium price had the case been made in USA. Sadly, none of the rugged double rifle soft cases I found were made in USA.

That aside, the case is plenty roomy, to the point of almost being...
Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment