Thursday, September 26, 2013

Midwest Industries Gen 2 SS-Series 12-Inch Rail, Black


Nice float guard.
This is a nice float guard. Quality and easy to mount,and light weight. Comes with lock tight, can be taken apart after lock tighting it. Only con is two of the rails are polymer (plastic) so be careful to not over tighten mounting screws or get after market attachable rails (check hole mount spacing). I have replaced other hand guards with these. It also comes in different lengths and colors.
This is a fantastic rail!!
I installed on my AR with no problems. Have another AR with a Samson Manuf rail of similar features and price. I like this one better since the accessory rails can be mounted with screws from the outside of the rail. Very easy.
On the Samson rail, if you need to install accessory rails after the rail is mounted to gun, you need to figure a way to hold a backing plate to the inside of the rail while screwing in the screw from the outside. Best bet is to install them BEFORE mounting the handguard. If I didn't have an extendable mechanics magnet, I don't know how I'd install these rails if I need to get in near the mid area to barrel nut area.
I'm building another 20" AR for the fun and experience and possible sale. I'll be buying another MI Gen 2 rail for this gun as well.
Very nice quad rail for the price.
This rail is FAR better than the Fortis REV that I bought for a second AR15 I was building. This rail actually fit over the low profile gas block properly AND it came with its own barrel nut.

My only complaint is, and the reason for 1 star reduction, is that the 2 plastic rail pieces broke when torqued down to 35 inch pounds like the instructions said. If I had it to do over again I would buy this rail in a heartbeat and I will likely buy more in the future. I will just torque down the added rail panels to 30 inch pounds instead.

I would heartily recommend this rail to another person! I installed the Fortis REV first on the other AR15 and I was dreading installing this one because the Fortis REV was such a pain in the ass to put on. I should have just sent it back and gotten another one of these!
Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment