Friday, September 27, 2013

Leica Disto D5 Digital Laser Rangefinder with 2.4-inch Screen and 45-degree tilt Sensor


Just short of great
I use the Disto D5 primarily outdoors, which is why I purchased this model. I purchased a set of infrared goggles but the target finder largely eliminates the need for them, which is a good thing.

For straight length measurements using the device hand held is easy enough. If you need to use any of the indirect (Pythagorean) modes a tripod is a must, but not a great inconvenience. So far I have not needed a purchased target, I have used a piece of paper taped to the corner. Accuracy is great, if you hit your target.

My only complaint is that the tilt sensor should go beyond 45 degrees. The few times I have tried the function it has been a limiting factor.
Much More Reliable At Distance Than D3
After spending an hour and a half measuring a large room with a tape, I finally broke down and bought a Leica DISTO D3. While that unit is very well built, compact, and the price was not too painful, I found many problems using it at longer distances and on some surfaces even at shorter distances. The D5 is everything the D3 is and a little more, but is much more reliable at longer (100'+) range. Measurements I was having real problems taking come out no problem, and the color LCD screen is much friendlier to use. I don't need the bluetooth communication capabilities of the D8 or the A series, so the D5 is really the best possible tool for the job. Quick, accurate, very well built, it came recommended by others I trust in my industry and now I know why.

You should be aware that Amazon's price is about $100 higher than this unit can be found for elsewhere. I returned my Amazon-bought D3 as it wouldn't reliably take measurements it claimed to be able to, and upgraded to the...
An Amazing Instrument
I purchased the Disto D5 for laying out foundations for a house I'm building. The D5 is reasonably simple to use. I spent a couple hours playing with it and now feel comfortable using it. I've layed out my batter boards for the foundation to within 1/32 in. accuracy. A level of precision I would have never been able to obtain with a sagging tape measurer. The D5 is compact, and you get a sense of quality when holding it. You simply aim the laser at a surface to be measured and you spot the laser dot or find the item in a cross hair on the LCD screen. The color LCD screen is bright and surprisingly so is the laser dot. Within distances found on a construction site the dot is large enough to see with the unaided eye in full sunlight-surpirse for me. The indirect measurement functions are handy, volume and areas calculations are pretty straight forward. For long measurements 50' or more you will need to steady the instrument (hand shake) and probably could use a tripod. The...
Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment